Friday, June 21, 2013

Dilemmas


OK guys. I’m in a quandary. I’m nearing Europe, the source of the literary tradition that I’ve been raised in. This means that I’ve got lots of options for books I’ve got to choose from. Can I get your advice on what I should read for…

GREENLAND?

a) The Vinland Sagas (Viking records of their discovery of North America) OR

b) Eskimo Poems from Canada and Greenland (collected by Knud Rasmussen, translated by Tom Lowenstein)?

ICELAND?

a) The Poetic Edda (source for many Viking myths and legends) OR

b) Independent People by Halldor Laxness (winner of the Nobel Prize for Literature)?


THE UNITED KINGDOM?

a) Shakespeare’s Henry IV Parts One and Two (featuring the unforgettable character Falstaff) OR

b) Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens OR

c) Middlemarch by George Eliot (because it’s hard to imagine I’ll get round to reading it otherwise)?


Also, should I do the different countries of the UK (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland) separately, or as a whole? Leave comments, please!

No comments: